Toronto-based personal trainer Alicia Bell’s drum-tight abs serve as fitspo for her more than 23,000 Instagram followers (@trainitright). Here, she offers a high-impact workout that requires nothing more than floor space and five minutes. Just one thing: “Intensity equals results,” says Bell, “so bring it for 60 seconds per move with no resting in between.”
1. Squat Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and squat until your thighs are parallel with the ground. Return to starting position while you squeeze your glutes. Remember to press your heels into the ground. Repeat.
2. Side Lunge Standing, bend one knee and take a big step to the side while keeping the other leg straight. Return to the starting position and repeat with the other leg.
3. Glute Bridge Lie on the ground, legs shoulder-width apart and knees bent, with feet flat on the floor. Push your hips upward and squeeze your glutes. Then slowly lower your butt back to the ground and repeat.
4. Plank to Pike Lying face down on the floor, place your forearms underneath your shoulders with your feet shoulder-width apart. Pull your belly button in and lift yourself up onto your forearms and toes. (Your back should be flat.) Then push your hips up as high as you can without moving your forearms or your feet, so you’re in a pike position. Hold for one second, then return to the plank position and repeat.
5. Mountain Climber Assume a plank position on your hands. Engage your core by tightening your abs. Bring one leg in to your chest, and then tap the ground with that same knee before extending it backwards and down. Repeat on the other side and alternate as fast as you can.