Shop like a pro
How to find the best Boxing Week deals
With decades in the fashion biz, image consultant Anne Marineau knows a thing or two about shopping. We asked the woman behind Montreal’s Mona Marino for her best post-holiday shopping tips.
1. Scout your favourite stores before the holidays to spot the items you want.
2. Screen the paper for deals and decide on your itinerary in advance.
3. Ask sales associates about Boxing Day sales and special deals, even if none are posted.
4. On Boxing Day, start with the smaller stores and be among the first customers in for the best selection. Then, work your way to chain and department stores, as they carry more inventory.
5. Splurge on a hot ticket item! This is the time to buy cashmere, leather, etc. It will still be expensive, but you’ll always remember the deal you got on that one special piece.
6. Don’t be fooled by the deal! No matter how deep the discount, if you don’t need it or LOVE it, don’t buy it.
7. Unless you are a shop-a-holic, forget about venturing out on the 26th – you’ll kill your holiday spirit within an hour.
8. Try to go alone. It is much more efficient this way.
9. Do a second round toward end of January to middle of February, when retailers proceed with final markdowns. These deals are often way better then Boxing Day prices.
10. Stock up for next year. Holiday decorations, ornaments, cards and gift wrap should always be purchased after Christmas.