On Day 4 of New York Fashion Week, we started bright and early at Derek Lam and ended at Tommy Hilfiger, covering backstage beauty at a total of nine shows. Here’s a sampling of some of the makeup and hair delights we witnessed:
1) Exaggerated metallic cat eyes at Derek Lam. Amidst a mostly bare face, and paired with sleek, architectural hair crafted by Orlando Pita, these graphic eyes took centre-stage.
2) The twisty chignons at Behnaz Sarafpour. Romantic and tousled hair, with a few wisps falling in the front, called to mind the twisted concoctions at spring shows such as Proenza Schouler and Phillip Lim. The perfect ‘do for Valentine’s Day.
3) The edgy French mani at Behnaz. Stick-on nails never looked so good. In graphic black and white, these talons looked fierce and channelled the look of the custom-crafted Manolo Blahniks Sarafpour made specifically for the runway show. Let us say that this look has us seeing the French mani in a whole new light.
4) The red eye at Yoanna Baraschi. Graphic and bold, this was another take on the exaggerated cat eye and made a showstopping statement. Also seen at Thakoon and Charlotte Ronson, the red eye (popular for spring 2011) is becoming a bonafide trend for fall.
5) The basket-weave-knit hair updos at Thakoon. Perhaps Odile Gilbert’s greatest-ever hair feat, this look entailed weaving in knitted swatches of varying colours from Thakoon’s Masai-inspired collection into intricate updos. The designer himself loved it when he saw it, and hugged Odile. And we’re still in awe.