There was tons of beauty eye candy on Day 3 of New York Fashion Week. Just a few common buzzwords amongst the hair and makeup looks: space-age, cyborg, rocker-chicks and grunge. Here’s our round-up of five things we loved today:
1) Bouffant ponies at Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti. There was a definite sixties vibe going on here, with hair teased and sprayed into submission and wrapped neatly into ponytails. But from the side-view, the model’s hair looked eerily similar to the creatures from Ridley Scott’s seminal sci-fi film Alien. Good thing or bad? You decide.
2) The ruddy grunge eye at Charlotte Ronson. It could have come off looking ghastly, but somehow the pros at Sephora made this somewhat edgy look pretty. A sign that the red eye look that was popular at spring shows like Carolina Herrera is here to stay.
3) The mammoth bouffants at Suno. It’s safe to say that this presentation took my breath away, for not only were the clothes spectacularly beautiful, but the crazy, sky-high bouffants were simply jaw-dropping. The hair channelled the sixties-style coifs of In the Mood for Love (which inspired stylists at Vera Wang for spring 2011) and a little bit of that famous alien family, the Coneheads.
4) The tribal swaths of teal eyeshadow at Pamela Love. There was a definite space-age vibe going on here, with the girls resembling Daryl Hannah’s cyberpunk Blade Runner character. It was a bit of a mash-up of Grecian goddess-meets-futuristic warrior. Loved it.
5) The lush berry lips at Altuzarra. A huge departure from Altuzarra’s spring runway beauty look (which nearly skipped makeup altogether, save for swaths of brightly-hued hair paint) this time out, there’s makeup–and lots of it. But while the eyes were stellar, that berry lip stole the show. Using MAC’s Diva lipstick, Pecheux termed it a “bourgeois” mouth.
Read up on the beauty look at Alexander Wang
See a gallery of runway looks from Day 3 of New York Fashion Week