With only three days away till the MET Ball we’re sifting through all the hot gossip before the doors open to the new Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations exhibition. From designer dates to dropped pop stars, here’s our quick news round-up:
1. Carey Mulligan, who is co-chairing the event, will be making her first public appearance since her surprise wedding last week. The star is said to be wearing custom Prada, fitting since she donned the label for her walk down the aisle.
2. Alexander Wang, who is almost as well-known for his amazing after-parties as he is for his uber cool aesthetic, is outfitting rapper Azealia Banks, who expressed her excitement over Twitter. Azealia also tweeted that she’s due to perform new material that night, with rumours rampant that she would be replacing Nicki Minaj who dropped out at the last minute. But don’t go searching for the news, all MET-related tweets have since vanished from Banks’ timeline.
3. Joseph Altuzarra is bringing chanteuse Lana del Rey, who we picture looking dreamy poured into one of his perfectly constructed body-con numbers.
4. Among the other rumoured performers that night? Jennifer Lopez, Taylor Swift, and Adele are some of the names we’ve heard so far.
5. The boys of Proenza Schouler are set to dress Aussie actress Isabel Lucas, the perfect fit for the design duos eclectic aesthetic.
6. One of the odder rumours floating around? Vogue staffers have been asked to wear pink to the event which we interpret as a nod to Elsa Schiaparelli.
7. Miuccia Prada, despite some of her comments about the event itself, has had quite a hand in planning the gala. Miuccia insisted on her favourite brand of Italian prosecco to be served and has also pre-selected the locale of the after party, which will take place at the Sinclair Mansion on Fifth Avenue.
8. Prada hasn’t just taken over the reins there-she’s apparently also created an exclusive ‘list’ of celebrities and industry-types who are allowed to wear her designs on the big night. Who might that include? Co-chair Carey Mulligan, for one, and at Met Galas past, we’ve seen Kate Bosworth, Lady Gaga, Iman and Tilda Swinton wear Prada.
9. As for who is possibly not permitted by Prada? Other attendees who have announced what they’re wearing include Heidi Klum, who has confirmed that she will be wearing one-of-a-kind Escada, while model Anja Rubik is wearing designer Anthony Vaccarello. Former FLARE cover girl Coco Rocha also expressed her excitement over a vintage Givenchy number.
10. Jessica Alba will also be in attendance, and likely styled by Canada’s own Brad Goreski, who also appears to be dressing Girls creator and star Lena Dunham, tweeting back and forth about fittings
11. Another interesting Met Gala tidbit? Model Kate Upton, whose recent ‘Cat Daddy’ video exploded after a shoot with photog Terry Richardson, reportedly handed over a cheque to Anna Wintour for $25k in order to snag a seat for the big night, despite appearing in the catalogue for the exhibit.
Who’s taking who to the MET Gala?
Alexander Wang and Azealia Banks
Karlie Kloss and Jason Wu
Doutzen Kroes and designer Roland Mouret
Michael Kors and Kate Upton
Joseph Altuzarra and Lana del Rey
Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez of Proenza Schouler and Isabel Lucas
Anja Rubik and designer Anthony Vaccarello
Designer Erdem Moralioglu and model Arizona Muse
Rachel Zoe and Karloina Kurkova
Thakoon and Christina Ricci
Haider Ackermann and Constance Jablonski