This past Tuesday, I flew to NYC to spend a morning and night—not as tawdry as it sounds—in the presence of the blonde Sports Illustrated and Vogue bombshell. The occasion? Upton was being feted as the new brand ambassador for Express (their first in a decade) at a swank breakfast at Jean-Georges, with a shopping event at the brand’s Times Square flagship to follow. Here’s my takeaway from this very special blonde moment.
1. Those infamous curves are very real. Also, she’s incredibly beautiful in person—no surprise—but it’s a very natural and approachable type of thing.
2. Kate is genuinely excited to be working with Express. She says she grew up with the brand and that she’s really just a tank top and jeans kind of girl at heart.
3. Despite that, she can turn up the glamour when she wants. Check out the behind-the-scenes shot from her upcoming fall campaign for the retailer (above), in which she’s wearing a V-E-R-Y sexy black sheath.
4. She’s a natural at working a room and has a great sense of humour. Case in point: when a single photo request turned into a selfie free-for-all at Jean Georges, Upton gamely posed and said, with a laugh and a wink, “Stop it, I hate having my photo taken!”
5. Express customers are just as excited (if not more so, I saw some very, very excited people) about Kate representing the brand. A crowd turned out to get their picture taken with the model, and she was more than happy to oblige.