IN YOUR 40s
Tammy Palmer, Senior Market Editor, 41
My style has evolved from classic preppy to an eclectic but sophisticated look, with a mix of pretty feminine separates and colourful sporty pieces. Now that I’m in my 40s, I like to highlight my figure with tailored pieces, as opposed to unstructured, shapeless clothes or anything too girlish. I love the look of a soft blouse with a vest or a sharp-shouldered jacket, and a high-waist denim trouser with a pretty heel—it’s my signature go-to look for day and night. I keep my style fresh with unique accessories that completely transform whatever I wear.
What I’ve learned so far in my 4Os
• I stock my closet with preppy work-to-weekend pieces from Banana Republic and Club Monaco. I love high-waist denim trousers from Rich & Skinny. If something fits really well, I often pick up the same piece in different colours.
• I absolutely love jewelry and feel naked without it. I scour vintage shops and the local mall for cocktail rings and ’70s-inspired necklaces that give my look edge.
• Dresses really suit my lifestyle and they’re so easy. I love anything in an exotic print or crisp military style that I can belt and pair with a sexy heel.
Rules I live by
• Each season, pick up key pieces that mix with your classics and also bridge the office-to-cocktails gap. I pull my look together with sharp accessories.
• Focus on your best assets with great-fitting pieces, regardless of the trends. I like to play up my shape with shorter skirts and one-shoulder dresses.
• I ignore the “don’t wear that over 40” rule. Instead, I focus on what looks great on me and how it makes me feel.
Hair and makeup, Veronica Chu, www.artistgrouplimited.com. Photographed at White, Toronto.
Great Style in Your 2Os, 3Os & 4Os has been edited for FLARE.COM; the complete story and where-to-buy appears in the May 2009 issue of FLARE.