1. No Shows: One of the stand-out moments of the night was actually the result of no-shows from two of the biggest recipients –actor Johnny Depp, who was slated to receive the Fashion Icon Award, and designer Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons, receiving the International Award. The actor was busy shooting the Lone Ranger movie (although, he did attend the MTV Movie Awards over the weekend), while the Comme des Garçons designer is notoriously press shy. In their place, both winners offered cult film director John Waters to accept the accolades.
2. Sheer Excitement: While the designer may have opted to don a tuxedo for the big night, it didn’t keep host Seth Meyers from riffing on Marc Jacobs’ choice of a Comme des Garçons frock at the Met Gala. We also thought it was interesting to see Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour wearing a piece from Marc Jacobs’ Resort 2013 collection-which had only been shown to editors the same day.
3. It Takes Two: It was a big night for the Olsen sisters – the pair picked up the award for Womenswear Designer of the Year, on their first nomination, and made endearing speeches thanking each other. The design duo also brought model Lauren Hutton as their date as Mary-Kate debuted her new darker hair. The win sets a new precedent, proving that celebs who know fashion can success.
4. Blog Spot: Street style bloggers (and couple) Scott Schuman of The Sartorialist and Garance Doré received the Media Award, making them the first bloggers to receive the accolade.
5. Tommy The Trickster: While introducing the designer, who took home the Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award, Anna Wintour revealed that Tommy Hilfiger is known for his impersonations – including Karl Lagerfeld, Donna Karan and Mick Jagger.