As a late summer sun continued to scorch Paris, editors (like me) were thinking about how to scoop some of the new spring looks straight off the runway. Here’s what I loved today:
1. I love the fresh young vibe at Carven. The Paris-based house has a long storied past (Madame Carven is 100+ years old) that now rests in the very capable hands of Guillame Henry. His approach to Carven is street-savvy fashion at reasonable prices. My favourite piece was his mustard yellow topper – just what you need on a grey rainy day.
2. I love the trend for white-on-white jackets. Yesterday, I saw a heavily embellished matador-inspired jacket at Dries van Noten. Today, Barbara Bui gave hers a sporty spin and Nina Ricci’s had an elegant feminine air. It looks lush and sophisticated – and will be a big spring trend.
3. I love couture. For fall, many designers riffed on Balenciaga’s egg-shaped couture silhouettes. They’re back at it for spring – notably at Nina Ricci where designer Peter Copping took a page out of his house’s archives.
4. I love our Canadian girls. Newcomer Kate King and veteran Alana Zimmer (one of her first editorial shoots was for FLARE) shone on the runway at Nina Ricci. Both have a very elegant couture vibe – womanly, sexy, sophisticated and still fresh-faced.
5. I love Arizona. Not the state, although I’m sure that’s amazing, but Arizona Muse, the hottest editorial model on the planet. Her stern features, marked by full groomed eyebrows, have inspired spring’s beauty look. Not a lot of makeup, just highlighting great skin, a touch of sheen on cheekbones, and full natural lips. Gorgeous and do-able by everyone.