My first day in Paris and I’m feeling a little confused. Is this really the end of September? It feels like July!
1. I loved…the heat! Paris is at its best under clear blue skies. Such a pretty city–and prime weather for shooting street style Tommy Ton tells me. Great lighting, excellent shoes–our favourite Canadian street shooter is in his element.
2. I loved…the patterns at Dries Van Noten. Hands down, one of the best shows by Dries that I’ve seen! It started with black and white toile-inspired country patterns and then morphed into jewel-toned lights at night. Dries took the season’s explosive pattern play and made it look sophisticated and timeless.
3. I loved…the sunglasses at Rochas. Novelty sunglasses are the newest accessory – following in the footsteps of “it” shoes and handbags. These ones were exaggerated cats-eye frames with cheery coloured tops in either minty green or ice blue. Super chic with a chignon as shown here but more fun with beachy hair and jeans.
4. I loved…the friendship of Gaga and Formichetti. Madonna and Jean Paul Gaultier made waves in the ’90s with her support and role on the runway. Today, Gaga takes that a step further by walking in her best friend Nicola Formichetti’s first show last season and then contributing a performance art video this season. Her grey pigtails and double row of buck teeth looked freakish – and her shrieking “Jesus is the new black” was provocative – but she knows how to open a show…one that was live-streamed around the world.
5. I love…the macarons my hotel left by my bedside. It’s been a long first day. I hit the ground running once the plane landed. I truly appreciated the little plate of four sweet treats left by the hotel manager as a thank you for FLARE‘s repeat visits.