5 reasons to see Tim Burton’s technicolour fairytale:
1. The Queen of Hearts. Just listening to the ways Helena Bonham Carter delivers the line “off with their heads” will give you nightmares. Whether she deadpans the vicious order or gives it a gutteral roar, the British actor’s dialogue delivery is nothing short of ferocious.
2. The make-up palettes. From Anne Hathaway’s phantom-white cheeks and Bonham Carter’s blood-red lips or Mia Wasikowska’s pinky blush and Johnny Depp’s marmalade-stained eyeshadow, expect some serious maquillage.
3. The costumes. The finest frock of the flock is Alice’s red, white and black Galliano-esque dress (think Dior’s Fall ’06 show) bequeathed to her by the Queen of Hearts.
4. The effects. The movie’s visuals are a real milestone for Tim Burton. Rather than the murky, glossy gloth seen in past movies such as Batman Returns and Edward Scissor Hands, Alice In Wonderland is a vibrant, rainbow-hued affair that punches a burst of colour in every scene.
5. The floating feline. The Chesire Cat is the only animated character in this film that’s really worth the ink. Voiced by the spooky Stephen Fry, the smoky kitty’s wise words will have you reeling.