He’s back! After vowing to never host again, Ricky Gervais is gearing up to lead this Sunday’s Golden Globe Awards—and we can’t wait. The Brit comedian made a lot of noise during his three consecutive years in the role (from 2010 to 2012) with his too-far one-liners and general no-effs attitude. And he’s already taken to Twitter to apologize in advance for this year’s show:
Because I can see the future, I’d like to apologise now for the things I said at next week’s Golden Globes. I was drunk & didn’t give a fuck
— Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais) January 1, 2016
We can only imagine what stinging zingers await. But even though Ricky is the reigning king of controversy, we have to wonder: was his stint really that much more risqué than his hilarious successors? For the next three years, besties Tina Fey and Amy Poehler brought their own brand of cutting, tell-it-like-it-is comedy to the Globes, using the platform to bring attention to gender inequality in Hollywood while making us non-stop LOL along the way.
In honour of Ricky’s return, we’ve compiled the funniest (and most controversial) gems from the past six GGs for a round of Who Said It?
1. “The Golden Globes are to the Oscars what Kim Kardashian is to Kate Middleton, basically. Bit trashier, bit drunker, and more easily bought. Allegedly, nothing’s been proved.”
2. “And now, like a supermodel’s vagina, let’s all give a warm welcome to Leonardo DiCaprio.”
3. “Looking at all the wonderful faces here today reminds me of the great work that’s been done this year… by cosmetic surgeons.”
4. “In Into the Woods, Cinderella runs from her prince, Rapunzel is thrown from a tower for her prince, and Sleeping Beauty just thought she was getting coffee with Bill Cosby.”
5. “Gravity is nominated for Best Film. It’s the story of how George Clooney would rather float away into space and die than to spend one more minute with a woman his own age.”
6. “In the 1960s, thousands of black people from all over America came together with one common goal—to form Sly and the Family Stone. But the movie Selma is about the American civil rights movement that totally worked and now everything’s fine.”
7. “Actors aren’t just loved here in Hollywood, they are loved the world over. You could be in the third world and get a glimpse of a Hollywood star and it could make you feel a little bit better. You could be a little Asian child with no possessions and no money. But you could see a picture of Angelina Jolie and you’d think, ‘Mummy!’”
8. “Matthew McConaughey did amazing work this year. For his role in Dallas Buyers Club, he lost 45 pounds. Or what actresses call being in a movie.”
9. “Jodie Foster’s Beaver. I haven’t seen it myself. I’ve spoken to a lot of guys here, they haven’t seen it either.”
10. “Talking of The Walking Dead, congratulations to Hugh Hefner, who is getting married at age 84 to 24-year-old beauty Crystal Harris. When asked why she was marrying him, she said, ‘He lied about his age. He told me he was 94’. Just don’t look at it when you touch it.”
Scroll down for the answers……..
1. Ricky Gervais 2. Tina & Amy 3. Ricky Gervais 4. Tina & Amy 5. Tina & Amy 6. Tina & Amy 7. Ricky Gervais 8. Tina & Amy 9. Ricky Gervais 10. Ricky Gervais