Update: Scroll down and see the new commercial starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, hosts of this year’s Golden Globe Awards. Plus, a Q&A with the stars on what to expect at the show.
Get your award season pool ready because the Golden Globes Nominations are in!
Silver Linings Playbook, a TIFF fan favourite, continues with its success with four nominations including best picture (comedy or musical) and best actress (comedy or musical) for current It Girl Jennifer Lawrence.
Steven Spielberg’s presidential drama, Lincoln, led the pack with seven nominations including best picture (drama), best director, best supporting actress (Sally Fields), best supporting actor (Tommy Lee Jones), best screenplay, best original score and best lead actor for Daniel Day Lewis (we guess that in-character-text messaging paid off).
Following Lincoln with five nominations each are Ben Affleck’s CIA story Argo and Quentin Tarantino’s highly anticipated Django Unchained.
On the other hand, Tom Hooper didn’t receive a best director nomination for his much talked about Les Misérables film adaptation. The project did get a nod for best picture (musical or comedy), best actor (Hugh Jackman), best supporting actress (Anne Hathaway), and best original song.
Other surprises include:
- The film adaptation for Jack Kerouac’s On the Road fails to get any nomination, not even a best supporting nod for Kristen Stewart
- Aaron Sorkin’s HBO series, The Newsroom, pushed out AMC’s Mad Men for a best television series (drama) spot. The Newsroom joins predictable but deserved candidates Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Downton Abbey and Homeland. Seriously, is no one else bothered by Sorkin’s portrayal of women: clueless and naïve?
- Glee was surprisingly absent from this year’s list of nominations after being very present at every award show since its inception. Is it a sign of the show’s dying popularity?
We’d also like to acknowledge some unsurprising recognition including:
- Adele’s song, “Skyfall” for the latest 007 flick, Skyfall, get a nomination for best original song (motion picture)
- Wes Anderson’s adorably quirky film Moonrise Kingdom nabbed a spot in best picture (musical or comedy)
- New Girl’s Max Greenfield (and one-time GOOP contributor) is nominated for best supporting actor (comedy or musical television series) for his hilarious portrayal of the douchy-but-lovable Schmidt
- HBO’s Girls get more award show love with best television (comedy or musical) and best actress for television (comedy or musical; Lena Dunham) noms
The Golden Globes will be aired live on January 13th with funny ladies Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosting the soiree. Francesca Eastwood —Clint Eastwood’s daughter and the subject of photographer’s Tyler Shields’ infamous Birkin bag burning photo shoot— will help dole out the awards as this year’s Miss Golden Globes.