Madonna sings about “a girl gone wild,” and her new show sure lives up to the pledge. Pop icon Madonna kicked off her MDNA world tour last night, choosing Ramat Gan stadium near Tel Aviv as her first splashy stop. Madonna performed to a crowd of about 30,000, and her set list included a mix of hit songs from the past three decades. From cone bras to rifles and peace statements, the singer’s show is filled with buzzed-about moments. Here are the top five:
1. Madonna entered on stage by breaking through a confessional window with a rifle, which she then aimed at the audience and began her first song “Girl Gone Wild.”
2. She did a mash-up of “Express Yourself” and Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way,” which undoubtedly made a point regarding the two songs’ curious similarities. She ended the song with the line “she’s not me.” Dig or friendly jab?
3. The singer debuted her flashy concert costumes, which included garments by Jeremy Scott, Agent Provocateur, and Alexander Wang, not to mention a reprisal of the infamous cone bra by Jean Paul Gaultier.
4. During the show, she wrapped herself in an Israeli flag and made political statements regarding the Middle East: “If we can all rise above our egos and our titles and the names of our countries and our religions, and treat everyone around us with dignity and respect, then we are on the road to peace,” the singer said, according to Yahoo!.
5. Her performance of “Like a Virgin” was accompanied by a “virgin” sacrifice, as Madonna was hoisted into the air by male dancers and lowered onto a “volcanic” platform. The girl’s not shy about her sexuality, that’s for sure.
The singer heads to Abu Dhabi next, then on to Europe and North America. She’ll be in Montreal at the end of August, followed by Ottawa and Toronto mid-September. – Christian Allaire