Forget biological age: Take this short quiz to find out if you’re hitting your sexual stride. Score two points for every “Yes” answer and zero points for every “No” reply to the questions below.
1. Are you comfortable pleasuring yourself?
2. Have you ever had an orgasm?
3. Do you have orgasms easily with a partner?
4. Are you cool with buying condoms at the corner variety store, including when someone your age is behind the counter?
5. Are you generally happy with your body, perceived “extra five pounds” and all?
6. Have you ever attended a sex workshop? Grade 6 sex ed doesn’t count. Vibrators 101, Knots for the Naughty and Tantric Sex do.
7. Single chicks: do you always practise safe sex?
8. Are your orgasms always the real deal (never faked)?
9. Are Pap smears and, if nonmonogamous, getting tested for STIs a part of your regular checkup?
14–18 POINTS: If you’re not already at your peak, you’ll be there soon. Taking charge of your own sexuality is the biggest step, and you’ve got things firmly in your grasp.
9–13 POINTS: Getting there. Like most of us, you’ve got a few confidence issues, but nothing that can’t be overcome with some positive thinking and a just-do-it attitude.
0–8 POINTS: Your journey is just beginning. So punch that ticket and have some fun! Start by learning (and loving) more about your body and what makes it tick, so you can carry that know-how and confidence over to your partner.
First published in the February 2008 issue of FLARE.