COLOUR OF THE SUMMER: Butterscotch Ripple
Stars such as Kate Bosworth and Nicole Richie are back in “bronde” (brunette + blonde). While Richie mixes high and lowlights throughout, Bosworth’s deep roots and sun-kissed ends prove ombré is hot again—yet more blended. Choose the at-home ombré kit that best suits your starting colour, and leave it on for less time than the box says for subtler contrast.
FLARE pick: L’Oréal Paris Féria Wild Ombré Haircolour Kit, $14.
WAY TO GROW
1. The Straight & Narrow: Emma Watson’s in-coming shoulder bob instantly looks longer with a flatiron finish. Safeguard new growth with a heat-protecting spray.
FLARE pick: Tresemmé Keratin Smooth Heat Protection Shine Spray, $6.
2. The Sidewinder: Michelle William’s grown-out gamine coif maintains its glam-factor with a deep side part razor-sliced into multi-layers. Groom sheared tips with shine spray for extra polish.
FLARE pick: Herbal Essences Honey, I’m Strong Silkening Spray, $6.
3. The Pompadour: Anne Hathaway’s Pixie will grow into a shag, but a trim every six to eight weeks averts straggly tips. Coax in-between bangs to new heights with root-lifting spray.
FLARE pick: John Frieda Luxurious Volume Blow-Out Spray, $15.
Emma Stone’s versatile, medium-length cut (bangs, not a problem!) makes for good hair days anytime, anywhere.
Celebrity hair-maticians rarely rely on one product to achieve desired results.
BEST IN SHOW
From Coachella to Osheaga and Austin City Limits, the top celeb-inspired looks to rock at your next music fest.
1. Purple Passion: Katy Perry’s violet tendrils with matching flower crown causes a pap-frenzy at Coachella.
2. Let It Be: Solange’s fluffy au naturel ‘fro and dandy ’60s style steals the spotlight at SXSW.
3. Milkmaid Braids: Florence Welch’s crowning plait embodies the boho vibe at Austin City Limits.
A few drops of the latest elixirs rescue hair from fading, frizz and more.
For swimmers: Scrunch in Sachajuan Intensive Hair Oil, $45, with rosemary, argan and sunflower oils, to form a protective barrier against both saltwater and chlorine.
For coloured hair: Oribe Gold Lust Nourishing Hair Oil, $52, blends jasmine, edelweiss, lychee and argan oils to add softness and shine, while UV filters shield against sun fading.
For damaged strands: Six different flower oils in L’Oréal Hair Expertise Nutri-Sleek Precious Oils, $10, give dry, dull ends glass-like shine.
For dry scalp: Massaged into roots, Phyto Phytopolleine Botanical Scalp Treatment, $49, encourages hair growth, with nourishing sage to tame dandruff and lemon oil to purify at root level.
For thin hair: With the fine-mist nozzle, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Miracle Dry Oil Spray, $7, promises even distribution of avocado and olive oils and shea butter (read: no grease overload).