Lincoln from The Bachelorette Was Just Convicted of Indecent Assault

A contestant currently on Becca’s season was convicted of indecent assault and battery on May 21—despite the show’s purportedly rigorous background checks

A contestant on the current season of The Bachelorette was just convicted of a sex crime, and we have so many questions.

Lincoln Adim—who as of June 11’s episode was still a contender for Becca Kufrin’s heart—has been found guilty of indecent assault and battery. The conviction relates back to an incident that occurred in May 2016, on board a cruise ship named Spirit of Boston. According to a law enforcement source cited by TMZ, Adim groped a woman’s breasts and ground up on her without her consent. He was convicted and sentenced in May 2018. His punishment? A year in prison, although that was suspended for a two-year probationary period. In that two years he has to stay away from the victim and attend three Alcoholics Anonymous meetings a week. It’s also likely that he’ll have to register as a sex offender.

Just so we’re all clear: Adim was charged before the show aired, but his actual conviction happened just days before Becca’s season premiered.

Which brings us to this: How exactly does someone with two-year-old pending charges-turned-convictions end up on a show like The Bachelorette? (Never mind that they’re crimes that directly relate to violent, predatory behaviour towards a female, and not like, insider trading). In a statement released yesterday, Warner Brothers, the studio that produces the show, said that Adim had ” denied ever having engaged in or been charged with any sexual misconduct” and that they had no knowledge of the crimes. Basically: They’re saying Adim lied. But isn’t that what background checks are for? Well…

Warner Brothers’ statement goes on to say that they employed a “well-respected and highly experienced” third party to perform background checks on all the contestants and that this did not come up in Adim’s report. This is not, of course, the first time (even this season!) that contestants have turned out to have some, uh, questionable things in their pasts that seemingly slipped by these background checks. Most recently, of course, there is current contestant (and frontrunner) Garrett Yrigoyen, who was found to have liked several super problematic Instagram posts from an alt-right account. He has since apologized for his behaviour, and so far, remains on the show.

The Adim story was broken by Reality Steve, who said in a post on Wednesday that he had been tipped off to the fact that Adim would be making an appearance in a Boston courtroom to please guilty to “some sort of sexual misconduct charge.” Reality Steve (real name: Steve Carbone) and former contestant Ashley Spivey teamed up to investigate it further, and confirmed that yes, Amin had been in court on Monday. Although the records for the case have been sealed, Spivey and Reality Steve did receive a statement from the Suffolk Country District Attorney’s office confirming the nature of the charges.

As for whether this will affect Becca’s season: As far as we know, the show will (literally) go on.

Related: 

Becca’s Response To Garrett’s Instagram Scandal Is Underwhelming

Unpopular Opinion: Jordan Is The Best Part About This Season Of The Bachelorette

A Comprehensive Guide To Becca’s Remaining Men

Filed under:

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

FLARE - Newsletter Signup

Subscribe to FLARE Need to Know for smart, sassy, no-filter takes on everything you're interested in—including style, culture & current events, plus special offers—sent straight to your inbox each day. Sign up here.